Friday, September 28, 2012

Grandma's 1934 Diary, March

(To read entries from my maternal grandmother's 1933 and 1934 diary, please click on the tab "Posts by Topic" and then go to the topic "California." All posts are listed there.)

Key:


The writer is Ethel Ranney Tapley.
Alice is her sister.
Kenneth is her brother.
Her parents.
H = her boyfriend, Hazel Avery Plumlee
Delma = Hazel's little sister
Earl = Hazel's brother
Verda = Earl's wife
Dorothy Lee = Hazel's niece (Earl's child)
Otho is Otho Hesser, her father's cousin.
Viella is Mary Viella Crites Hesser, Otho's wife.
Ruth & Kathryn are Otho and Viella's daughters.
Uncle Jont is Jonathan Hesser, Otho's father and her father's uncle.
Aunt Kate is Sarah Katherine Hall Hesser, Jonathan's wife and Otho's mother
Herman (Williams) is Alice's husband.


Sunday, March 4:  "Hazel & I went to Yucaipa & cleaned up home a little.  Hazel fixed a tire on the truck.  We went to the show in the evening.  Got to Yucaipa had a flat.  Spare was also flat."

Image courtesy of fotosearch.com
Monday, March 5:  "I went to school.  It was quite warm.  I worked hard to get work in at school."

Wednesday, March 21:  "I went to school."

Thursday, March 22:  "Hazel has quite a bad cold, we went to town in the eve. to see Dorothy Pate.  I quit school today.  Clara & Lucile helped me to clean house." 

Friday, March 23:  "Hazel has the flu.  I kept him in bed all day.  I got advice everywhere I went."

Image courtesy of fotosearch.com

Saturday, March 24:  "Hazel is still pretty weak.  I went to dads & cleaned house a little.  Kenneth treated us to a show at the California in the eve."

Sunday, March 25:  "Hazel & I went to S.S. & Church.  Ate dinner at Maries & Arnolds.  Went to League in the eve.  Had a late supper at home."

Thursday, March 29:  "I washed at Trowbridges.  Took Mrs. Trowbridges to Yucaipa in the afternoon.  Hazel & I were there to supper, had ice cream."

Friday, March 30:  "I went to town.  Clara waved my hair.  Made some ice cream there.  Hazel came over after work we went to Yucaipa in the evening."

Saturday, March 31:  "Dad & Mr. Banks worked on the pipe line.  Hazel & I went to town in the eve, each bought a pair of shoes.  Saw Clara & Barney."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment