Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Family and Genealogy

From Randy over at Genea-Musings:

Dear genealogists everywhere, it's Saturday Night!  Time for some Genealogy FUN.

Your mission this week, should you decide to accept it, is to: 

1)  Tell us how your family members (parents, children, grandchildren, spouse, siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles, etc.) react to your genealogy addict er, hobb, er, interests!  Do they accept it, cooperate with you, listen to your experiences and accomplishments, or not?

2)  Do you have any funny stories about your family members' interest in or with genealogy?  Tell us!

3)  Share your report in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, in a Facebook status post, or a Google+ stream post.  

Here's mine:

(1)  My mother, Linda Tapley, seems to be quite interested by the finds I make.  She gamely goes along on cemetery visits, even in 100 degree weather.  She is not obsessed herself, though, and does no research herself.  She is also where I go to check facts... to confirm my memories are accurate.  

My sister also does genealogy research, so she totally "gets" the obsession.  She concentrates more on her mother's side of the family and leaves the Tapley side to me.  Unfortunately due to health and distance, we have only been able to go on one research trip together.  It was fun and informative, and I wish we could do more!

Cousins:  I have cousins on every end of the spectrum.  Some that are polite and listen, but really are not interested; some that enjoy hearing the information and actually like to visit the cemeteries, but do no research on their own; and one who is even more obsessed and fanatical than I am. 

(2)  The aforementioned cousin who is a Tapley genealogy fanatic pushes me to find out more and more.  I will get NUMEROUS text messages that read "Have you heard anything?" or "Have you looked at the 300+ pages of genealogy information yet that I brought you?" - two hours ago!!! Unfortunately, so far that 300+ pages is on the stack with the 50 or so legal-sized pages you brought me a year ago and the 3-ring binder of information you gave to me 5 months ago!  I will get to it before I die.  I promise.  But seriously, his texts do motivate me, and he rekindles my genealogy fire when it dies down. 

(3)  Done!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment